Wednesday, April 4, 2018

4 Apr 2018 Can A Politician Have Faults?

Can A Politician Have Faults?

It seems we are always amazed that some politician does something wrong or has some character flaw. I don’t think politicians exhibit anymore negative traits then the general population. I have always thought about what type of person I want as my elected officials. President Clinton’s major fault was not that he had a relationship with Monica Lewinsky but that he lied about it.

I can accept that a politician maybe a hard ass to work for. He or she could be very demanding and even at times raise their voice to the people that work for them. I don’t condone that, but that would be ok over being dishonest. I want my elected officials first and foremost to be honest and tell me the truth. I don’t care if that truth is bad news. It is especially important if it is bad news.

All great leaders had flaws. Did the flaws contribute to making them great leaders? I know each person probably has a list of qualities that their elected officials must have. Just as they have the same list for qualities that they can’t have.


Could I accept an elected official who created great legislation but had major character flaws, maybe. However, I certainly don’t want one who is a really nice person and gets along with everyone but does nothing to create useful laws and legislation. In the end I want my elected official to get things done, preferably as a nice person but ultimately results count over pure character.

No comments: