Sunday, April 29, 2018

29 Apr 2018 What Habit Do You Want To Break?

What Habit Do You Want To Break?

Over time I have developed a lot of habits.  Some good some bad.  It seems so much easier to change the good ones than the bad ones.  

It would probably be a good for me to list all my bad habits so that I can assess just how much they impact my life in a negative way.   Then I could decide what one(s) to change that would improve things either physically, emotionally or mentally.  

I have read a great deal about changing habits and it appears that trying to change too many at one time leads to failure.  It is best to focus on only one change at a time.  People want to see a lot of changes real soon.  To succeed you need to take the long view.  You should look at it not at what change I change in a month but what can I change in a year.  Also, it takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks for a habit change to become a habit.  If you look at it 12 months down the road, that means you change 8-12 habits.  That is a lot of change in a person.

The people around you can have a large effect on the success of a habit change. It is critical that you have a strong support group.  Change is not easy. You will have good and bad days.  You just need to begin each day anew and forget what happen before.

The habit I fight to change is my sugar intake.  It is a challenge.  At work I am much better at walking away from the bad stuff people bring in.   At home is where I struggle. I would like to have nothing in the house to tempt me, however, I am not the only one there.  I can’t force my change on others. 

I am at war with sugar.  Some days I win, some days it does.  But I will fight it each day until I can be sure I always win. 

No comments: