Tuesday, April 17, 2018

17 Apr 2018 How Old Do You Feel?

How Old Do You Feel?

I have to look at this from two perspectives, physically and mentally.  From the physical standpoint I can see were aging is taking place.  I used to be warm all the time.  Even in winter I would sit around in shorts and t-shirt.  I just generated a lot of heat.  Now, I am closer to the average person in that I have to wear more appropriate clothing. 

I also have seen a decrease in the length of time I can do heavy manual labor.  When helping someone move, the amount of time I can lift furniture and boxes is reduced.  I am not an all-day helper in this respect. I need to be more careful in what I lift and how I lift.  I am not saying I can’t do heavy lifting, I just need to be a lot more cognizant about it.

Now, from the mental standpoint I feel 25.  I have talked to others around my age and they feel the same (within a year or two).  I can’t say why it is that age.  I have often wondered about this.  It is not some attempt to make myself younger than I am.  I don’t live in past and long for the “good old days.” One thing I have learned is that phase in Carly Simon’s song says and that is “these are the good old days.”

I look at it as a healthy thing that I feel young inside. Once you give yourself the label of “old” you start to deteriorate at a faster progression.  Your mental health goes a long way to drive your physical health.  I am not going to do the physical things that I did at 25, but I am going to push myself to slow the aging process as best I can.


You are your mind and not your body.  The more you can keep it active and challenged, the better it will be.     

No comments: