Thursday, September 6, 2018

6 Sep 2018 Where Is Home To You?

Where Is Home To You?

One question that people are asked is where they are from?  This usually means where you grew up.  I am from Chesterton, In. in northwest Indiana.  But home is a different thing.  Home is where you just have that feeling that is the place you need and want to be. 

I have lived in several places since I left home.  I spent most of the 1980’s in Virginia Beach, VA.  The 90’s until 2008 I was in Burke, Va. a suburb of Washing to DC. Then I spent 4 years in Huntsville, Al.  The last 6 years I have lived in northwest Florida, the towns of Niceville and Crestview.

I have not felt a sense of home in any of these places.  They were really nice areas and had many positive attributes. My sister and her son have remained in Chesterton their whole lives.  I envy them in one aspect.  They grew deep roots.  It is a good place to live even with the challenging winters.

I would like to do some extended travel and stay overseas as I mentioned in a previous post.  However, I also want to find that place where it just feels like home.  At some point that place will be my retirement home. It may act as a base while I still travel but will be where I may try to start some roots myself.

I understand that it is the people who you are with that is more important than any place.  A location can also have a strong attraction too.  Like Scarlet O’Hara in Gone With The Wind, her place “Tara” was deep within her.

I need to find my real home.  I need to come home.


No comments: