Tuesday, July 10, 2018

10 July 2018 Can We Be Friends?

Can We Be Friends?

I went to an event in Portland Oregon called the World Domination Summit.  It has a catchy name but what its mission is “How to lead a remarkable life in a conventional world?”   I have attended this event for the past 5 years.  People come from all over the world for it.  I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the people are liberal in their views.  I know I have views that differ on certain topics, but I have some of my deepest relationships with some of the people who come.

We leave judgements by the wayside once we came to learn who each really are. You are the sum of a whole bunch of different parts.  To deny a relationship due to one or two of those would be a mistake.  Now I understand that everyone has limits and there are deal breakers that you can’t get past.  I have them too. 

However, for the most part political differences should not be a deal breaker. As a country we can’t have two groups who won’t socialize or develop friendships due to policy conflicts.  Ruth Bader Ginsberg is one of most liberal justices on the Supreme Court.  She had a deep personal friendship with Anton Scalia who was the most conservative member. They had very heated differences in writing court decisions, however, at the end of day could get together.  Justice Scalia also recommend Ellen Kagan as a nominee for President Obama.  Judge Scalia knew the President would select a liberal.   Judge Scalia knew Ellen Kagan was very liberal, but he had a deep respect for her.  

If our Supreme Court Justices can have vastly different views on issues, but can also have friendships, why can’t Congress and everyone else?  It is vital for the good of our country.   



No comments: