Friday, February 9, 2018

9 Feb 2018 Do You Speak Your Mind

Do You Speak Your Mind?

The term politically correct gets thrown around a lot. But what does it really mean? Is it being overly sensitive to someone else’s feelings? I don’t know. I do know I want people to be upfront and honest with me. Don’t hide behind “correct” language. Sure, I may not agree with you, but I have no doubts where you stand.

I feel a lot of issues would get settled if people said what they really feel. If someone has integrity, he or she will say what they believe. To me it is a form of cowardice to hide what you really believe. If you are afraid of offending someone or think there may be negative consequences to your beliefs, then maybe you don’t have a position to defend. The right of free speech needs to be exercised. Open debate done with civility has to happen in order for us to address critical issues.

Defend your position with reasoned arguments. Don’t yell or demean. But don’t shrink from the conversation or just use words or phrases to appease. I would love to engage in a discussion with a white nationalist, a radical Islamic person, a Black Lives Matters supporter, on occupy Wall Streeter and any other number of people.

Some I may have common ground, others I am probably very different. But that is okay. I am willing to come to the discussion and hear their side. I may never agree and in fact may openly support the demise of them, but I will listen. Who knows, I may learn something, in fact I know I will.

I don’t have all the answers. Well, I do have all my answers, but they may not lineup with yours. How about we all start to be more open with each other, are you willing?



No comments: