Saturday, February 10, 2018

10 Feb 2018 Journey Or Destination?

Do You Like The Journey Or Destination?

I have to admit I used to be a destination person. I did not take advantage of enjoying the journey. If I was going somewhere it was get there as fast as possible and ignore what was on the way.

My impatience drove this mindset. Not seeing and appreciating what was around me was to my detriment. My impatience came with a bad attitude if some circumstance got in the way of getting to my destination. You know the saying “stop and smell the roses”….. well the roses was just something I ran over. Instead of taking the time to be grateful for being able to go on the journey, I took that all for granted.

I remember a trip to New Zealand where we stopped to see a gorge that has an ice shelf in it. We started to walk down and see it from a viewing station. My friend, who is the ultimate journey person said let’s walk out to the icy shelf. I did not say anything, however, during the walk out and back all I was thinking about was getting back to our vehicle. We are talking spectacular scenery and I couldn’t enjoy it. No, I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it, but I didn’t take it in like I should have.

Am I a reformed destination person,….hmmm it is a work in progress. I try every day to not let the little inconveniences bother me. And really that’s all they are, inconveniences. Now my wife may argue that when we are driving around town. As I said, still a work in progress.

I am very grateful now that I’m able to see some incredible places. Seeing the beauty even in the small things has enriched my life. I like the roses now.



No comments: