Wednesday, February 28, 2018

28 Feb 2018 How Have I Had Fear?

Have I Had Fear?

Fear is a part of confidence. There is fear thinking about what might happen in the future, and there is fear in events happening in the moment. The first fear is more of a mind game. That is, you may have a fear of flying and you think up scenarios that have negative potentials. These mind fears don’t have a physical aspect to them, or at least that is what I think.

Then there are the times when you are in a situation that the fear transitions to actually impacting you physically. You are on a plane now and it is going through turbulence. Your heart rate and blood pressure are probably up, maybe even way up. You could even be hyperventilating. This fear brings about these challenges because it is happening right now to you and is not something that could happen later.

It is very difficult to tell someone to calm down when every sensory input is giving them very heightened signals. In this case, until the turbulence subsides the person may not be able to come down.

I wouldn’t want to go into battle with someone who says he is fearless. To me that person would be reckless. Fear has its place in everyone. I haven’t yet to meet anyone who when asked and is honest will not relate a situation where they felt fear.

In my youth when flying for the Navy there were many times at night when the weather was bad. We still had can land the plane on the aircraft carrier. Hell, just about every night landing brought with it some level of fear, evening cloudless full moon nights.

How this fear was dealt with was I was so concentrated on flying the plane that the voice in my head could not get a word in. The moment I trapped on board the ship, a big relief came over me. The fear was forgotten. As we used to say “we cheated death again.”

I think the difference between my fear during night landings and someone whose fear of flying is amplified during turbulence was I was in control of the plane whereas the other person was riding along.

Where is my fear that brings the physical aspect? It is when I am up on a ladder or walking on the roof of my house, yes, a fear of heights. Sounds funny that I can be up in a plane and have no fear looking down but put me on the edge of my roof even 10 feet off the ground and my heart rate is up.

To me the most destructive fears are those of the mind about something that may happen in the future. Those fears can stop you from trying something. I know it has for me. The fear of failing was almost crippling. I could talk myself into what I thought was a worst case, when in fact it really wasn’t one.

How have I addressed those types of fears? I guess it was just the realization that not trying meant automatic failure with no chance of success.


Fear of the future battle I have with that voice in my head has not gone away. The voice just doesn’t control me like it had in the past. Now if I can just stop my heart from racing when on the roof, then I will be making progress.

No comments: