Sunday, February 18, 2018

18 Feb 2018 Will I Be Able To Retire?

Will I Be Able To Retire?

I have had an extremely fortunate life. I lived for today. I did not plan for tomorrow. Will guess what, tomorrow is coming fast. How am I going to sustain the life I have always had? First, I have to say I am not depressed about this. The reason for that is I am where I am due to the conscious choices I have made. There’s probably plenty of argument whether I make good choices, but that is not the point. I know most may have had choices forced on them. I am very grateful.

But the issue is still there. What kind of life have I set myself up for? At this point I don’t see a scenario that allows for a traditional retirement. Not that I am extremely near the retirement age, but I am a lot closer than most. What I’ve learned is that I don’t need all the stuff I felt I needed. My happiness is not based on tangible things. What drives my happiness is the people in my life in the experiences I had and will have.

Shelter is important. But my need for living space is greatly reduced. I love to drive; however, I don’t need a fancy car. Better yet, live were public transport is available and only use the car when it is really necessary.  Rent it vice own it.

Transitioning my life to simplicity will be one of the best choices I could never make. Simplicity allows me to focus my resources towards what I truly love vice what I thought I did. I counted 8 pair of brown pants in my closet. Multitudes of T-shirts and polo shirts. I have a lifetime’s worth of white workout socks. So much waste. I even have a couple of brand-new shirts, still have the tags on them, which I know were at least five years old.

One thing I really love to do is read: books, newspapers and magazines. I prefer them in hard copy not digital. I once donated over 400 books to library. I have begun to accumulate another load. I have a box of books that I know in my heart I’m not going to read again. I understand when people collect stuff.

A great quote I read was “there is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.” I gain happiness each and every time I simplify some aspect of my life.


Will I be able to afford retirement? I don’t know. But I do know that what I thought of as retirement 20 years ago is vastly different today. Whatever my life will be like in the future can only be dessert for the great main course I’ve had so far.

No comments: