Saturday, February 17, 2018

17 Feb 2018 Why Do I Stay With My Current Job?

Why Do I Stay With My Current Job?

I’ve spent a lot of time and money trying to get to quote “Living life on my terms.” I venture to say that most people would interpret that to mean working when and how I want. I agree with that thinking. So……what is changed my life in order to make that happen?

My first step has been to start writing. Ok….. but what is next? Here is where I have to confess the issue that is my challenge. I like my current job. However, I understand that it will not get me that true satisfaction. Is it a safety net that I hold onto, absolutely!

But it is more than just that. At this point in my life it provides the resources so I can plan for when that safety net goes away, and make no mistake it will go away.

From a life planning standpoint I have to assume that my will job will go away in one year. My job does have the toxifying effect of putting off planning if I let it. I have to fight off the seduction of that. Right now, my most precious commodity is time. How I choose to use it will make all the difference in my future.

As I said, I have started to write more. Big deal. So what? What am I going to do with it?
For one it helped me get past the fear factor. Fear of some unknown future possibility was an excuse for me in the past. This made not doing something an easy out.

Then I got passed the “what if it is not good?” I answered that with… so what. What if I get criticized or laughed at? Again, so what.

“So what” has been and continues to be one of the most liberating things I know? I am writing and posting stuff online, ok. My current job is year-to-year, got it.


What is next? I need to decide if small advances overtime is best or go big?   I still have not determined what “Go big” is. I have a year to get that plan in place. And buy in place I mean fully ready to go.  I will continue with my current job. But each day I will dedicate time to thought and writing on what I would do if this job ended. Go big? I certainly hope so.

No comments: