Monday, February 19, 2018

19 Feb 2018 Do I Have Rules?

Do I Have Rules?

I have always said that rules are just guidelines. Rules in this case is in your personal life. Should you have rules that are non-negotiable question mark Nate Green is a writer who I really respect. He is the one who gave me the concept of non-negotiable rules to how you live your life. I have thought about it and I have wrote Down some in the past, however, I never really treated them as rules that I would live by. So they must have not really been important.

The more I read the more I come to understand that personal rules are important. As Jacko Wilnik wrote in the book Extreme Ownership, discipline equals freedom. That may sound counter intuitive, but when I think about it, it is true. The more you follow your rules, the more freedom you get in your life. Rules may sound to constricting to some. Habits maybe the same concept, however, I don’t think that captures the real meaning and intent.

Coming up with your rules takes some thought. They have to be Lines you don’t cross unless there is some exceptional outside circumstance that impacts them. There will be those times. They need to be rare.

I categorized my rules to several areas. My rules are:
1.    Physical – have at least four workouts of some type each week
2.    Mental – have a morning routine of writing and reflection
3.    Financial – if I see something I want, and it cost more than $100 then I wait a day to see if I really need it

Will I adjust these rules…hmmm.  For me the rules need to be foundational. That is if I need to change them each year, they must not really be the basis of how I want to live my life.  I plan to add to them.

These rules I have just set in place after much thought. I will see you the benefit of them as they become I’m ingrained part of my life.


No comments: