Wednesday, February 14, 2018

14 Feb 2018 Can You Say "I'm Sorry?"

Can You Say I’m Sorry

Two of the most important words you will ever use are “I’m sorry.”   Those two words are acknowledgment that you did something wrong and need to express it.  

Now the words are useless unless there is a genuine feeling associated with them.   This is especially true if your actions caused hurt to someone.

I admit that in the past I have just said the words but did not have the feeling with them.   Or worse, I did not say the words at all.  It is proven to be liberating to admit wrong.  Someone may not forgive you if the wrong was egregious.   However, taking responsibility and sincerely expressing your sorrow for your actions is a start in the healing process.

I don’t know what my internal fear was in not admitting wrong, but I did see the effects. The other words you can add to I’m sorry are “and I will fix it” are just as important  if what you did is fixable.

What I was able to fix inside me was to see how my inaction to say I’m sorry caused as much hurt as my action.

I will try to the best of my ability to not cause hurt requiring an I’m sorry discussion.   But I know I will say it at anytime. I will also fix it if possible.  No matter how embarrassed I may be for my actions, I know that I now accept responsibility.

Is there someone in your life that you have wronged?   If so, contact him or her and say those two words.   Say it with deep feelings.   It may require that you say it more than once.   Also, follow up with actions that support your words.   Fix it.  

Don’t judge the person if he or she is not receptive to your apology.   You maybe sorry, but they may still be hurt.   Give them time.   If they accept your apology, great.   If not, then respect their decision.   You caused it.   Their forgiveness may come at a later time.

Be a better person than you were before.


No comments: