Thursday, February 15, 2018

15 Feb 2018 Do I Like Winning Or Hate Losing More?

Do I Like Winning Or Hate Losing More?

It has been a challenge during my life to just enjoy watching a sporting event.  If a team was pIaying that I liked, I would get too wrapped up if they lost.  I hated to see them lose more than I would have liked it if they won. In fact, I would rather not watch them and find out they won then to watch them loose. 

This also happened when I participated in sports.  I was not a sore loser, but I did take losing very hard.  I hated it. I had the mindset that if you are going to participate in an event, you should do all you can to win.  The idea of just doing it for fun was not in my thinking.  I couldn’t understand how a teammate could be happy after losing.   If you had a lot of energy after participating it meant you didn’t really try hard. 

This attitude of mine serves no good purpose.  It does not help me.  Yes, you can have a drive and determination, but it has to be put in perspective.  Just how important is winning an event?  When watching an event, I do remind myself of the “Man in the Arena” speech by Teddy Roosevelt.  In it he says it is not the critic that counts but the person who gets in the arena and tries.  You may lose but lost by trying and did not just sidelines and not take a chance. 

I know every team I watch wants to win. No one wants to look bad or be defeated.  If you think of it, every sporting event is based on someone not doing something right.  A mistake is made and the other team capitalizes on it. 

A true fan of a team supports them whether they win or lose.  It may be agonizing to watch them and they may “break your heart”, but they are your team.

When I participate in an event I should just be grateful that I can.  Many people do not have the physical capabilities to participate.  I am not in the Olympics or getting paid for it.  I should enjoy it.  I can be competitive but also have fun at the same time.     


I need to just chill out when watching an event.  How does it improve my life if I get upset over it?  It doesn’t at all.  It is something I will work on.   

No comments: