Monday, February 26, 2018

26 Feb 2018 Why Do I Put Things Off?

Why Do I Put Things Off?

How many times have I said I was going to start something and then said I will do it “in just a bit?” That bit of time grew, and I didn’t start. Or I did start but plan to finish it “in a bit.” I’ve found that scheduling is important for me to get things done. I can’t take that “I will get to it” attitude.

Sometime I do get started and crank away.. It is the finishing that has been a challenge. I would get 80% done with something and put it aside instead of scheduling time to finish it. It would linger on or I had to cram to finish it before deadline.

I have mastered the art of putting off. I could use the excuse that I work better under pressure of a deadline, but I would just be kidding myself. I work better when I concentrate on the task at that moment.

“In a bit” has taken on life from days to months.

Not every task has to be completed from start to finish. However, if I did not finish and I will “in a bit” is not the right way to go.


I need to schedule the time to continue or complete the task. I have to have a plan that provides some guidance. Yes, the plan can change. However, I at least started in the direction that leads to accomplishing things. It is still a challenge, but I am working every day to not do things in “just a bit.”

No comments: