Monday, May 7, 2018

7 May 2018 Can You Be Alone And Not Lonely?

Can You Be Alone And Not Lonely?

I spent a few years by myself, that is not in a relationship.  Other than seeing people at work I was pretty much by myself from Friday noon until Monday morning.  I was not a shut-in, I just didn’t see people.  I would go down to the beach for walks and out to dinner and such. A lot of time was spent reading because that is what I really enjoy.  

My mother would not believe me when I said I was not lonely.  She could not comprehend that.  She was convinced I was lonely.  She spent her entire late teens and adult life with my dad surrounded by children, then grandchildren and now great grandchildren.  My dad passed away 7 years ago.  Though the kids and grandkids are still around, she spends a lot of time alone.  In talking to her I don’t sense loneliness.  She has enough interaction with her friends and family to keep her active. 

I was very comfortable being alone.  Not sure why. I don’t shy away from meeting people, but I don’t go out of my way to do it.   In a group I don’t know I can be very quiet.  However, with people I do know it is a different story.  I am outgoing and talkative. 

I am married; however, I do like my private time.  I have an office I go to read and write.  My wife likes to watch tv, I don’t so this arrangement works well for us.  

I believe everyone should have time alone if not every day at least sometime during each week.  You should get comfortable by yourself.  You never know when life may put you in a position when you do spend a lot of time with just you and your thoughts.  Find something to do you enjoy by yourself.  You may just like it.   

No comments: