Sunday, May 6, 2018

6 May 2018 Do You Compromise Enough?

Do You Compromise Enough?

The challenge I usually had was compromises that weren’t, but I took them as though they were.   The term does mean both sides gave up on something so an agreement could be reached. 

There are times where ones’ principles are involved where compromise is not good.  Yes, you can stand too firm and nothing gets resolved.  How do you compromise on your principles? I have thought a lot on this and don’t have a firm answer.  If you do want or have to have a solution but both sides are ridged in their principles, there in is the problem.  Both think they are absolutely right and any change would mean great trouble. Sometimes common ground is too far for each.  This is especially true for the abortion issue.  How does either side compromise?  One side thinks it is murder and another thinks you are taking away a woman’s ability to control what goes on in her body.  In this issue, one side is going to lose.  The majority will vote or support legislation that a minority will hate.  I wish the abortion issue had a compromise.  It has caused an inordinate amount of turmoil, especially when it comes to Supreme Court nominees.

A nominee could have an impeccable record for legal scholarship and impartial rulings.  However, how he or she stands on abortion is the only criteria the vast majority of Senators care about.  This is not good for our country.

At the personal level, a lot of times I acted as though there was a compromise, but I felt I had a lost or won.   More times than not I felt I lost because I wanted to avoid confrontation.  It was just easier to agree to the other side. This caused me to keep negative feelings inside and that has its own issues.  If I had just had a conversation, I may have been able to avoid a lot of the anger I may have felt.  Both side have to feel the other is dealing in good faith.  If the issue is someone you are in a relationship with this is critical.  It corrodes the relationship if you don’t discuss and come to a compromise that both feel is equitable.  A winning or losing mindset is really just losing.  

Compromise is not a bad thing.  It is a part of life.  Deal with it in a straightforward manner.  But do deal with it.  Non-confrontation is not dealing with it.  Avoidance is not the answer either.  Communication is everything.  Honest and open communication that is.  You may “win” or “lose” some but in the end, you will feel much better if you did confront the issue.  I need to remind myself of that. 

No comments: