Wednesday, May 30, 2018

30 May 2018 What Is Your Favorite Sport?

What Is Your Favorite Sport?

Growing up we had the 4 professional sports available to go see; football, baseball, basketball and hockey.  I did get to see each of them.  As to playing sport, I participated in football, basketball, swimming and track while in high school.  

When I went overseas for a year to Australia I got exposed to other sports; Australian Rules football, what my family there called real football (soccer), rugby and cricket.   Each had its unique attributes.  I came enjoy them a lot.  I went to a semi-final match for the Australian Rules championship.  Over 100,000 people in the stadium. Lots of beer and yelling.  It was great.

I went to a cricket match between England and Australia. They were considered the best in the world.  A match takes place over 4 days.  Each day the game runs 5 hours.  A lot of people in the US might think it boring, but like any sport there is tremendous skill and strategy involved.   

I gained a loved for English league and international soccer.  I found out just how popular it is with the rest of the world.  I have been to an English Premier match in London.  It is hard to describe just how loud it is with the singing of the team’s songs.  

In my adult life, I enjoyed watching just about any competitive sport.  Today it is mostly NFL football and international soccer.

My favorite sport as a participant will always be football. The contact was what I enjoyed most. I always dreamed of playing in the NFL. I did not make it through high school level due to knee issues.  I had to find other sports that were not as hard on the knees. 

Sports were a big part of my youth.  I was always involved in one or another.  I remain a fan and will cheer any great effort.  I feel lucky I have been able to experience many as a participant as well as a spectator.    

No comments: