Thursday, May 10, 2018

10 May 2018 Do You Love Your Job?

Do You Love Your Job?

I read all the time about finding my passion, so I can do what I really want to do.  I can say I did find it when I flew while in the Navy.  However, that ended when I was in my late 30’s.  Now what? I continued work in the DoD world most of the time as a contractor.  I am still a contractor.  Do I love my job?  I can’t say I love it, but I sure don’t dislike it.  I am very well compensated.  The works hours are flexible.  The environment is the standard cubicle life.  The people are for the vast majority good to work with.  The stress level is pretty low.  So, a lot of positives.  In fact, I am sure a whole lot of people would trade places with me in a heartbeat.

So why don’t I love it?  It is something that is hard to define.  Am I wasting my life….hmm…I don’t look it that way.  Am I settling for the comfort and security of it?  I would say that is a factor.  Then what is it?  

I still have not been able to define what I really want to do.  I have given it a lot of thought over a long period of time. I do have the luxury to just continue the way I going.  I am not in a situation that requires me to make a life change.  The question is do I want a life change?  If actions speak the loudest then I would say I don’t.  

I do have responsibilities that the current job situation does allow me fulfill.  Do I see a time when those responsibilities will diminish to allow a change, maybe? However, I would say that looks more like 5 years in the future.

I have plenty of free time to make changes in my life if I so desire, be that study or formal schooling.  I do have some travel desires that want to accomplish in the next couple of years.  

Do you have to love your job, no.  But you can’t hate it.  It is a waste of life if you dread going to work. Make the changes needed to get away from that job.  The sacrifices will be worth it.  If you are just content with your job, that is ok too.  Find something outside of work that excites you and go all in on it.

No comments: