Wednesday, March 28, 2018

28 Mar 2018 How Do I Get A Local 5 Person Circle?

How Do I Get A Local 5 Person Circle?

I have always liked the saying “you are the average of the 5 people you associate with most.”  My challenge is, outside of work I have almost zero face to face contact with anyone but my wife and daughter.  My weekends and evenings are with them.  When we go out it is just us.  I don’t have a group of people who I call or who call me to do things.

I have my online group who represent my circle.  I think the world of them.  However, I am not sure that is the intent of the saying. 

The question is, what have I done to change that?   For the most part, nothing.  I tell myself I want some local friends, but I haven’t made the effort to go out and attract them. 

We are not shut-ins.  We go to various events, however, we don’t meet anyone there.  Only a few people at work would I consider establishing a relationship with outside of our business time. 

Is the issue that I am just content not having a circle of friends or is it that I have not made it a priority in my life.  I have to admit that I am very comfortable spending time alone.  I don’t know what it is, but when my wife goes away for long weekends, I have no problem just being by myself.  The thing is, I know this is not what is best for me.

I know this is challenging for my wife.  She moved to my town for us to get married.  She has a great group of friends at her previous town and I know she misses them.  She is a very social person. I know what I am comfortable with is not in line with how she lived before.  I am sympathetic to this as I brought her to my town vice me making the move. 

This situation is not unique to this place and time.  Prior to my marriage in late 2014, I would go many weekends having no contact with people other than a waitress or grocery check-out person.  It was just how I lived.


I have to decide if I want to change my current situation.  I have to be the one who takes the action to open up and invite people into my life.  I should but………     

No comments: