Thursday, March 15, 2018

15 Mar 2018 Should One Parent Stay Home?

Should One Parent Stay Home?

A young guy I work with is expecting his first child. He is going to take a month off to be home. There is much debate about parental leave for childbirth. How long is enough? Traditionally I believe six weeks was the amount for the mother. Should it be paid or unpaid paternity leave? If the first few years of a child’s development is so important then shouldn’t one of the parents stay home full-time? I understand this is not an option for single-parent home. But if you are a two parent home, should not the child’s welfare be your first priority over anything else? Should a family live within the means of one income or have work schedules that allow one parent to always be with the child? I am not advocating that the mother has to be the one who cannot work and stay with the child. I know that is the traditional way. But today either parent can fulfill that role. We strive to have so much stuff in our lives: nice home, nicer car, better home theater, nicer everything that it almost forces both parents to work to afford the items.

It comes down to do you want day care to raise your child or do you? The vast majority of people choose care.

I know there are millions of kids who went to day care soon after being born and they turned out just fine. Does a parent need to be with the child until it starts school? I don’t know. Of course, today starting school has taken on whole new life. Maybe they call it pre-nursery school or something when in fact it is just more expensive daycare.

I don’t know how long there should be paid parental leave. I fully support a business providing the mother as long as it makes economic sense. Of course, I am also sensitive to the people who work who do not have children, but they do not get extended periods of paid leave. But that is separate issue.


Parents should consider downsizing as an option to reduce costs in order to maximize time with the child. I’m not saying they have to do it. But they should at least run the numbers and consider it.

No comments: