Wednesday, January 3, 2018

3 Jan 2018 Big Choices

Looking Back, What Were The Big Choices That Impacted Your Life?
Steve Jobs said you can only connect the dots in your life when you look back.  I can see there were several choices that I made at certain times in my life that were major crossroads.   The first one was during the early part of my junior year in high school.   I applied to be a foreign exchange student.   Now I was from a small town in Indiana.   The idea that I would be selected to be a student in a foreign country was almost laughable to me.   I did not believe I had any chance to be selected,  however I did fill out the paperwork.  There were a couple of options to choose in the paperwork.   One was if you wanted to apply for a summer program which was about six weeks in length or a full year program,  I chose the full year one.   It also asked if you had a preference for Northern hemisphere or Southern hemisphere.  I can’t say why but I did select Southern hemisphere.  I mailed off the package in late October.   I had no expectations to hear back from the organization.   On a Saturday in mid-December I was at work at a gas station.   I got a call from my mom and she was crying and said I was leaving in four weeks to spend a year in Australia.  So, to say that my world would change is a big understatement.   In January I packed my bags and left for a year in Australia.   The relationships I made during that time are still very strong over 40 years later. 
 The next big choice came late in my senior year of college.   I was graduating in about six weeks.  I always had a great interest in the military.   I was walking from the library and saw a sign that said a Navy recruiter was in the building across the street.   I walked over there, met the recruiter and signed up to enter the aviation branch of the US Navy.  If I had gone out a different door of the library I would not have seen the sign for the Navy recruiter.  I still may have entered the military at a later date, but it may have been with a different branch, either Army or Air Force.   Eight weeks after meeting the recruiter and two weeks after I graduated I left my parents home to begin officer candidate school in Pensacola Florida.  I ended up flying A-6 Intruders off of multiple aircraft carriers.   I absolutely loved it, I had more fun then you could possibly imagine.
Three years after I entered the Navy came my next big crossroad.  I got married to the sister of one of my officer candidate school classmates, her name was Cheryl.  The ironic thing is I had been telling my family since a young age that I was never going to get married.  Even several months before I got engaged I thought that marriage was something that I wasn’t going to do. But I did and it changed my life.
 Another strong belief I held was I was never going have children.  I told Cheryl this very early on when we just met. When we got married she understood this was what I wanted.  She really wanted to have children and hoped that my position would change.  Well, my position did not change but five years into our marriage Cheryl got pregnant. I now have an amazing daughter named Ariel.  I could not be a prouder parent.  She has and still does have the most positive impact on my life.
It’s funny that two of the strongest held beliefs that I had proved to not be as strong as I thought.  Both made me a better person.
The last major choice I will discuss here was the decision to leave the Navy after 15 years of service.  It was a difficult decision, however a lot of factors played into it.  As I said, I loved my Navy life.  However, the flying part of Navy life was at an end.  So, I chose to walk away and start a career in the civilian world.  Now I say civilian world, however I have been a contractor at different companies over the last 20+ years supporting all branches of the US military.  Though I don’t wear a uniform anymore, I am still associated with the military.
Now there were many other choices that took my life in other directions, these wore the few that had the greatest impact.
 

No comments: