Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2 Jan 2018 What Do I Say I Am Going To Do Each New Year?

New Year’s day is like groundhog day to me.   Every January 1st, I set out my goals for the year.   Each New Year’s for the last 5 to 7 years I have said I am going to make my health a priority.   And here I am New Year’s of 2018 saying the same thing.   I know it is something I have to do.   I tell myself it is something I want to do, but obviously have not made it a priority.   So why is this year different? Because I see the implications of not taking care of my health.   It’s not just weight that I need to lose, it’s overall conditioning I need to improve.   My flexibility has reduced a lot.   This was something I worked on and off each year, I just have not been consistent.   So now I am seeing the results of that inconsistency.   Flexibility is very important to longevity, that is what I believe.   Walking up a flight of stairs I also see the consequences of not having consistent quality workouts.   I do work out on an average of 3 to 4 times a week.   However, I must not be doing those quality workouts.   It’s not the length of time that is important but what you do in the time that you do commit to working out.   I know there are three pillars to conditioning one it Is cardiovascular, the second is flexibility and the third is strength training.   However, the most important criteria for health is nutrition.   All my workouts can be and have been compromised because I have not made nutrition to be the key factor in my health.   I have done a lot of the programs that produced rapid weight loss, however, they did not instill the habits to maintain that weight loss after I transitioned out of the programs.   The habits in the program we’re good however I did not make them a permanent part of my nutrition.    There is a saying “All know the path but if you follow it.”   I know what I have to do nutrition wise for my health.   I believe most people know what they should put in their bodies and what they shouldn’t.   This is not to say you can’t I have anything that is “bad”.   You just need moderation.   I am going to enlist my wife to help me make the nutrition habits integral part of our lives.  I have told myself over and over that I can do this myself.  Well, here I am with the same goal.  So my wife will help for accountability.  I also have a group I talk to weekly and we hold each other accountable for goals that we set.  I can’t look at this as a quickfix.  I have to see what I can accomplish in a year vice just three months.  As I said, habits are critical.  But I need two instill one habit at a time. I will have a monthly habit to instill.  Over the course of the year that will be 12 habits I will have changed.  I have to believe that I can make major changes in my life with 12 new habits.  The habits Will be a combination of nutrition, workouts, and self- improvement.   The initial habit will be to greatly reduce the amount of sugar based products I use.   I will allow myself one day a week to have things I like but could not use in moderation.   Sugar is my number one enemy.  Instilling this habit will prove to have tremendous benefits.  I think it will be my biggest habit challenge.  I will report on my progress throughout the year.

No comments: