Tuesday, January 23, 2018

23 Jan 2018 Australia

How Did Australia Come Into My Life?

Australia has been a big part of my life. I was selected to be a foreign exchange student to Australia. I went there the middle of my junior year to the middle of my senior year in high school. This was due to Australia having seasons opposite the US.  The school year starts late January. I got my host family a couple of weeks prior to school near the end of their summer break.  The parents Allen and Betty Simpson were British. Even after living in Australia for 20+ years, they were still British through and through. They had two sons, Steve and Richard.  Richard was my age and Steve two years older. You become a member of the family. You call the parents mom and dad. Though the language is English, the Australian accent could make you miss the meaning of something.

Schooling was different than that in the US. You go to school for education only. There were very little extracurricular activities.  In fact, you only go to your 12th year if you intend to go to college. Many leave after the 10th year to go into an apprentice program in a trade. I took some 11th year classes and some 12th year. At the end of your 12 year you take a three-hour exam in each subject. These exams we’re given by the state in association with the universities.  There were no make-up exams. If you are sick that day, too bad. A small number of students repeat 12th grade to improve their test scores. The English final exam was 4 essay questions.  Two of the questions came from a series of books that were assigned at the beginning of the year. All 12th grade students in the state study the same books. The other two questions were from statements. I still remember one of those questions. It was “a good scare is worth more than good advice.”   The grading was very severe on the exams.

Two sports I got introduced to were cricket and Aussie rules football. I came to enjoy and appreciate both. I was able to go to one of the semifinal games in the Aussie rules championship. 100,000 people in attendance. Great event. We also went to a cricket test match between Australia and England. They were the powerhouses in cricket.  A test is a series of games over a period of weeks. A match is four days long. A day runs from 10 in the morning till four in the afternoon. The pace of the game may appear slow, however, with any sport there is strategy and athleticism involved.

One other sporting event I got enlightenment on was soccer.  It is a big deal, especially in England. The equivalent of the Super Bowl is called the FA cup.  It was a big family event to watch. I still watch the FA cup and World Cup soccer.

I was fortunate to see a lot of south eastern Australia and Tasmania while there. I’ve since been to see the Great Barrier Reef and other parts of the country.

I developed a very strong bond with my host family. I became a lifelong member of the family. I consider Steve and Richard my brothers. Even though it has been over 40 years since I was a student there, we get together as often as we can. I sent my daughter Ariel to spend half a school year in high school with Richard and his family so she could experience what I did.  She is considered one of their children.


Australia will always be near and dear to my heart. I will go there as long as I am capable.

No comments: