Thursday, January 11, 2018

11 Jan 2018 How Has Being A Parent Changed Me?

How Has Being A Parent Changed Me?

In the previous blog post I stated how I told my family when I was young I told my family I was never going to get married.  That also meant I did not intend to have children.  Even after I did get married I had no intention of having children.  I don’t know why I had that feeling. It was just something I always carried with me. It was not a question about my capability as a parent, but the demands and requirements that come with parenthood. I guess I looked at it as taking away something from me like Independence or freedom to do what I want to do. I did not look at it have having the positive impact on my life. That was a very selfish way of looking at it but it was the way I thought.

In late 1987 my wife and I found out she was pregnant. This was a very significant event. Do I stand my ground and not have this child? My wife, desperately wanted children, said she was having this child whether I wanted it or not. Something in me said just go with it and have this child. I excepted it and we prepared for parenthood. I supported most of the pregnancy activities except I just couldn’t make it through the Lamaze process. There was just something about it that I couldn’t be serious about while was there. So, my wife had her best friend be my substitute. I was in the navy at the time and attached two squadron that was on workups which are times at sea in preparation for a long deployment. Our child was expected in the mid-September timeframe of 1988, we did not know if it was a boy or girl. On 27 August, my wife drove me to the squadron as I was flying out to the ship that day for an eight week period at sea. We had known that I was not going to be there for the birth. In the Navy, your life in the squadron and on the ship is a priority over even parenthood. It was just an accepted part of the job that you were going to miss major events in your children’s lives. So, on this Saturday 27 August right around noon I am dropped off at the squadron. I knew when I returned from that at sea period, our lives as we knew it were forever going to change. The next day Sunday 28 August 1988 I received a message that my daughter Ariel was born. This came as quite a surprise as I was not expecting this message for at least a couple of weeks. I could not believe that a mere 24 hours after seeing my wife our child was born.

I did not get home until early October. I was able to fly home two weeks before the ship returned. I was met at Norfolk airport by my wife and our daughter. When I first saw Ariel it started a love affair I have to this day. I participated in all the parent activities those first weeks. I was scheduled to deploy for over six months in late December. However, my squadron commanding officer told me in mid-November that I would not be making the deployment. We had to trim some staff and I was chosen not to go because it would have been my third extended deployment in four years. Professionally I wasn’t happy. I wanted to go on the deployment. But I knew it was much better that I would be able to get a job that did not require me to go on a ship for at least couple of years.

 I was sent to a Navy research and development base at China Lake California which is in the middle of the Mohave Desert. This was a great place for me as the flying is incredible. It’s not the best place for wives as the nearest mall was 90 miles away. Also, I traveled a lot back to Washington DC and saw my wife’s family a lot more than she did. This was a challenging time for her with the newborn child. I got to be part of my daughters first two years. When I was not traveling we settled into a routine. Being there to see Ariel progress from laying to crawling to walking and then talking was special. It reinforced the responsibility I had to her. I am very good with children who are newborn until about age 2. I enjoy that age. From age 2 until about 13 I am not as excited about parenthood. After the age of 13 I again really enjoyed that time of parenthood. This works well as my wife greatly enjoyed all the time. I missed a significant portion of the “terrible twos” as I had a long deployment on a Navy ship. I have a lot of respect for wives of military members who have to handle all the challenges of children while their husbands are deployed. This also goes for any single mother out there. When I was on the ship I did not have to deal with the day to day today issues that happen with children.

 Parenthood made me a much better person in many ways. Yes, there were days when I thought about my life prior parenthood. However, those were very few and the joy that Ariel brought to me made everything else insignificant. I had to learn to be patient with her as she learned new activities. I had to let her “fail” so she could learn resilience. I had to give her space so she could learn to make her own choices. I drilled into her that there were consequences for one’s choices in actions. If there was one thing I hope she took from me it was that. She had the freedom to make choices but she also understood that if that choice was not a good one she had to except what came from it. Though I allowed her plenty of leeway she never abused it.
 I think what was most important was as her parents we did not try to be her best friend. We were her parents first and foremost. We gave her unconditional love but she also knew we would be disciplinarians if that was required.

 I can’t say that my style of parenting would work with every child.  I cannot think of a situation where Ariel challenged me as a parent. I was very fortunate in this. I know there are very good parents who have children who turn out to be extremely challenging. I also know there are great kids who have a less than ideal parents. I think there is an element of luck in this. You do your best at a particular time as a parent. You adapt as the child grows. You have to be flexible based on your child’s personality. You can’t force them into being something they aren’t. This may be hard to accept for some parents. Ariel had to find what she loved and we as parents had to just help nurture it. I also make sure to let her know it was okay to change her mind. She did not have to continue to do something she did not like. Of course, this is for activities outside of required schoolwork.

I was lucky with my daughter. She has grown into a wonderful woman. She has an independent personality and a zest for life.


For someone who did not want to get married or have children, I have found both to be much better for me then if I chose to do neither. I have a much fuller life because of them.

No comments: