Thursday, January 3, 2019

3 Jan 2019 Why Do I Have Targets Not Goals?

Why Do I Have Targets Not Goals?

Most people around New Years come up with a list of goals for the year. For any it is to get into better shape.   The challenge with this is there is no measurable way to track progress or success. If you set a target instead of a goal, then you have a metric based way of tracking things.  With a target, you can also break it down into sub-components to measure how well you are doing.  

It is ok and desirable to make significant targets you want to achieve. In fact, you should make a target that seems almost impossible.  I say almost because a target has to have some reality to it.  If your target is to make one million dollars in income this year and you are only making fifty thousand, then there is very little reality in what you want to do.  However, if your target were $150k, thus tripling your income, then it would be a big challenge but not out of the question. 

It may seem daunting on how you get there.   This is where you need milestones.  It can be weekly, monthly or quarterly. For me it is all three.  I will have specific targets over each of these timeframes. This will allow me to course correct as needed. 

All of my targets are challenging.  It comes down to am I willing to do the work necessary?  I can plan all day long.  I can come up with detailed metrics.  However, the day in and day work determine success.  Do the work required, period.  No excuses.  Blame no one. Take total ownership.   Simple yes, easy no.  Worth it? Absolutely. 

No comments: